Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Nadal confirms Wimbledon fitness

Venue: All England Club, LondonDate: 20 June-3 JulyCoverage: Live on BBC One, Two, 3D, HD, Red Button, online (UK only), Radio 5 live, 5 live sports extra; live text commentary from 0900 BST on BBC Sport website (#bbctennis); watch again on iPlayerRafael Nadal The moment Nadal goes down injured

Defending champion Rafael Nadal has said that he will be fit to take on Mardy Fish in the Wimbledon quarter-finals on Wednesday.

Nadal, 25, had a scan on Tuesday after suffering a foot injury in his fourth-round win over Juan Martin del Potro.

He wrote on Facebook: "I thought I had something serious but as the match went through the pain got better and the tests don't show an injury.

"Today I will practise and I'll play tomorrow. Thanks all for the support."

If the Spanish world number one gets past Fish and British number one Andy Murray beats Feliciano Lopez, the pair will meet in the semi-finals.

After completing an impressive four-set victory over Argentine Del Potro on Monday, Nadal said: "I don't know what the problem is, I will get it checked out. I'm worried for sure.

"At one moment at the end of the first set I thought I might have to retire.

"To hit my forehand was very tough. I felt something really strange when it was at 6-5 in the first set when I called to the trainer. I pushed hard with a forehand and I just felt something crush in the back of the foot. I didn't know what went on.

"I changed the position of the foot so I was able to continue, but with pain."

Nadal is unbeaten at Wimbledon since the 2007 final, but was unable to compete at the tournament in 2009 because of knee problems.

The Mallorcan had 10 minutes of treatment at the end of the first set of his win over former US Open champion Del Potro and had his foot strapped by the trainer.

"With the tape it changed the direction of the support and it didn't hurt me that much," he added.

Del Potro had his own injury scare during Monday's match, slipping and falling to the grass at 2-2 in the third set.

He remained on the ground, clutching his left hip and then left the court for treatment but returned within minutes to continue as Nadal won 7-6 (8-6) 3-6 7-6 (7-4) 6-4.

Juan Martin Del Potro Del Potro applauds Nadal's brilliance


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment