Friday, July 8, 2011

Disability sport: GB trio snatch gold

Venue: BerlinDate: 3-9 JulyCoverage: Daily text and video reports on BBC Sport website; live commentary on 5 Live Sports Extra Fri 8 July (1635-1840). Trio join GB gold rush in Berlin

British pair Jonathan Fox and Susie Rodgers won their second indvidual gold medals at the IPC European Swimming Championships in Berlin.

Manchester-based Fox beat his own world record as he added the 100m backstroke to his 400m freestyle success.

Rodgers, a relative latecomer to international competition at 27 and in her first major event, triumphed in the 100m backstroke.

Stephanie Millward made it three golds for Britain, in the 400m freestyle.

Fox, who has cerebral palsy, set a new world record in the S7 category earlier this year.

He went in as favourite and powered clear over the opening 50m before finishing strongly in a time of one minute 10.45 seconds, beating his old mark by 0.25 seconds

"I didn't know it would be a straight final and I didn't think I could get a world record so I'm very pleased," he told BBC Sport afterwards.

"I knew my Croatian rival [Mihovil Spanja] was right behind me but usually I blast the first 50m and I was able to hold on."

GB women grab double gold in Berlin

Rodgers, who was born without a fully formed left arm and leg, fought out a tremendous battle with Germany's world record holder Kirsten Bruhn with the Briton edging victory by 0.43 seconds in a time of 1:26.09 to beat her S7 category British record by two seconds.

"That was unexpected," she admitted. "I couldn't see how close we were over the last 50m so I just worked hard to keep it going. I feel for the German but I'm delighted."

Millward, who won silver in her 100m race on Sunday, pulled clear of Croatia's Sanja Milojevic with 150m to go in her race and went on to win in 4:42.23, beating her own old European record of 4:43.08, with Louise Watkin edging out Lauren Steadman for bronze.

Fox smashes world record in Berlin

There were also bronzes for Emma Hollis (S8 100m butterfly), Jim Anderson (S2 100m freestyle), Fran Williamson (S3 100m freestyle), James Crisp (S9 400m freestyle) and Graham Edmunds (S10 50m free).

Great Britain currently lie second behind Ukraine in the medal table with 59 medals, including 18 golds.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment